[at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Neal" <nealb@midlandstech.com>
To: "'Steve Landis'" <s.landis@comcast.net>; "AT-L List (E-mail)"
<at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 12:23 PM
Subject: RE: [at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

> Remember that the earth you are standing on floats on "molten" rock.  And
> that when you compare the shell of an egg to the white & yolk with the
shell
> you are standing on & the molten rock, the shell of the egg is thicker in
> comparison.
>
> Speaking of earthquakes and the AT, does anyone know if there are any
MAJOR
> uplifts along the AT?  Or any other sites of special interest to geology
> lovers.

Ahem! The AT *is* a major uplift from the collision of continents. Get
yourself a copy "The Backpacker Magazine Guide to the Appalachian Trail".
There's lots of geologic history information on the AT in there. The entire
first chapter is on the geologic formation of the Appalachian chain and each
of the section-by-section chapters includes a discussion of the geology of
that section. I recommend that book highly to any geology and/or history
buffs. The trail data is out of date but it was general anyway and not
intended as a hiking guide. It's out-of-print but you can find copies
through www.alibris.com, www.bibliofind.com, www.amazon.com or even on Ebay.

Saunterer