[at-l] Forest Service Blocks E-Mail Comments

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer about the area in question (below).
First, it still takes time to type in a "signature" or write a signature.
And if one wants to fake a signature on a petition, it has been done and
still is being done.  Certain cities have been known to vote and sign
petitions with people whose real address is in a cemetary.

Plus, many people are willing to sign anything "shoved" under their nose: I
was told that the best way to get lots of signatures was to find a
"bottleneck" area and shove the petition under people's noses.  Also do it
when people are talking to each other.  But as to faking signature...

Most signature (written) verifies are not qualified handwriting experts.  So
it is relatively easy to fake a signature.  On the other hand, on those
"petitions" that require an email address, that is a bit harder to do;
especially if the verifier uses software to see if there is such an address.
And if they randomly check to see if someone has "electronically" signed a
petition: I once got a message checking to see if I had signed an electronic
petition.

As to the legal force...  Jim is probably right.  Although I think that
"forging" names maybe against the law.  Probably something to do with fraud.
But the idea of a petition is not to legally force someone or something to
do something; it is to show someone that there are enough people for or
against the idea.  It is akin to touching someone's forehead.  You don't
know their temperatures, but you can tell if they are running a fever.

And I must, now, disagree that it is easier to e-sign a petition than it is
to hand sign a petition.  I can scribble something that looks like a
signature quicker than I can type in the info for most petitions that are
currently being sent around.  And I am less likely to "just sign" an
e-petition than one shoved under my nose while I am shopping or in a hurry.

William, The Turtle
-- Once when I was a member of a gun organization, I hurriedly signed a
petition because I was talking to someone and in a hurry.  My mind heared
"gun" but did not hear the full message.  I sign a petition to legalize
automatic weapons.  Fully automatic weapons.  Hey I could use a good .50
cal. machine gun at times, but to legalize them?

> Also, what is the difference between signing a online petition and signing
> one in person?

Ease of forgery. Anyone can type your name or for that matter hundreds of
names very easily. Handwritten signatures are tougher. Admitedly either can
be faked and neither has any legal force anyway.