[at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

----- Original Message -----
From: "athummingbird" <athummingbird@hemc.net>
To: <Slyatpct@aol.com>; <askowronek@mindspring.com>; <rjturbot@cfl.rr.com>
Cc: <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:12 AM
Subject: [at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

> Thought I was imagining things this morning when I felt the whole house
> shake early this morning.  But my husband woke up from the shaking too.
> Just heard from a woman in Atlanta asking is anyone else felt the small
> Earthquake this morning.  We are in Clayton so it must have reached quite
> ways.  Must have been especially frightening for hikers here.  Who else
felt
> it?
>
> Hummingbird

There is a fault under the St. Lawrence River that is said to be larger than
the San Andreas (though much less active) and we get small earthquakes every
so often. The only ones I notice are when I am at home and the windows
rattle, etc. If I'm driving at the time there is zero chance that I will
notice the quake. I doubt I would notice a "small" quake when hiking either.
We've had a few in the 4+ range and you can hear those as well as feel the
ground shake. Of course, how close you are to the epicenter makes a
difference. I'm sure any California listers can relate plenty of quake
experiences.