[at-l] Springer Loop

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bluetrail@aol.com>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 4:58 PM
Subject: [at-l] Springer Loop

Can anyone suggest a loop hike of approximately 50 miles that starts and
ends at Springer?  No bushwhacking, please, only existing trails.  It would
be especially nice, but not required, if the loop minimized PUDs.  (If there
are lots of PUDs, 40 miles total length might be better.)

Thanks,
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com

The Georgia Loop is a great trip - combining the AT with the Duncan Ridge
and Benton MacKaye Trails.  I finished it two weeks ago, though I started at
Blood Mtn, walking over it to Slaughter.  From Springer it would be:

AT north from Springer to Slaughter Gap, west on the Duncan Ridge Trail to
its intersection with the Benton MacKaye,  follow that south to its
intersection with the AT at Long Creek Falls, then south on the AT back to
Springer.

Maybe 10 miles longer than what you want.  Lots and lots of ups and downs.
An incredible amount of climbing, actually, but not a single one of them was
pointless.  If you want a flat trail, you're starting out by standing in the
wrong part of the state.

Google "Duncan Ridge Trail" for some descriptions.  For camping spots &
water sources on the non-AT portions, e-mail me.

Ray