From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen [mailto:spiriteagle99@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 4:27 PM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Cc: s.landis@comcast.net
Subject: [at-l] Forest Service Blocks E-Mail Comments

Steve Landis wrote:

>from... http://tinyurl.com/abw2
>
>WASHINGTON - In a move criticized by both
>environmentalists and business groups, the U.S. Forest
>Service is rejecting public comments on proposed rule
>changes when they come from certain e-mail servers or
>on preprinted post cards.

>From the article:
>"If you're going to take the time to respond and you care, then put some
>effort into it," he said. "We'll take e-mails by the millions" if the
>correspondence is original and specific.
>
>But critics say the new rule ignores a fact of modern life: that people are
>busy and often don't have time to compose original letters with substantive
>suggestions or criticisms.

Personal opinion - if someone cares, then thay'll make the time to write
something real.  If they're too busy or don't care enough to make the time
to write something real, then they're too busy or don't care enough to have
a real opinion.  So why should anyone care what they  think?

The PA horse wars got blindsided like that - by mass form mailings, mass
emailings and preprinted postcards, not from the horse people but from their
businesses, churches and other organizations - 90% of whom have never been
and will never be on a horse.  Luckily, the PA DCNR ignored most of the
email and mass mailings.

Again - personal opinion - Email and mass form campaigns are a hallmark of
the lazy and ignorant.

Y'all have a good weekend - we'll be clearing trail in PA.
Jim