Long, as usual <g> Re: [at-l] Re:Hiking for causes/Wingy

>"...The truth is, the only people who got kicked off during the Saddleback
>campaign were people who genuinely enjoyed his list, participated in it, and
>managed NOT to get kicked off previously - but expressed a desire to support he
>issue on their own, and not through WF's email campaign, argues DaRedhead.

The simple fact is that more than 95 percent of the messages supporting strong
protection for Saddleback were generated through Wingfoot's efforts. Slightly
more than half of all the messages received by the Department of the Interior
were generated through Wingfoot's campaign. Most of the other half were last
minute preprinted post cards from opponents.

 I've dealt with PR campaigns for decades. I've never seen a more successful
 effort to generate individual letters involving what truly was a rather obscure
 issue when he started.

 Essentially, Wingfoot had respondents answer a series of questions in their own
 words. He generated a computer program that combined the answers into a
 coherent letter and sent it to Department of Interior officials and
 politicians. He then sent the letter back to the respondents with a request
 that they print it and send hard copies to their own Senators and
 Representatives and to the National Park Service.

 A right wing "property rights" group in Maine tried to crash the system by
 flooding Wingfoot with negative comments. Their newsletter chuckled at how they
 were using Wingfoot's resources to fight against protection of the trail, and
 told their members how to participate.

 I quietly feigned dismay at their efforts because I wanted them to continue.
 What I knew, but they did not, was that Wingfoot had devised a screening
 process that automatically kicked out letters that didn't agree with his
 position. We did nothing to discourage anti-Saddleback messages from going into
 the blackhole of cyberspace, rather than to the decision makers.

 I'm well aware of Wingfoot's faults. But he has an incredible dedication to his
 vision of what the trail should be. Few have ever worked harder or with greater
 personal sacrifice.

  It's sad that his zealotry drives away folks that could help his cause.

  Weary