[at-l] Re:Hiking for causes/Wingy

--
In a message dated 4/24/2003 10:28:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

> The only 'cause' ever supported by Wingy was Wingy. Over six years, he's run
> a total of three Wingy-centric email campaigns. The first one took a
> position
> against the ATC's, and required participants to send emails through his
> website's letter-bot so they'd be tagged as coming from @trailplace.com.

       *** Wing-whatever took the same position as the majority of AT
members. His e-mail campaign was what can only be called "good for the
Trail". I haven't seen such active rallying for AT causes anywhere else. It
also sent a copy to your computer for printing with the intention of sending
it on in letter form directly to the agency. I don't see the harm in that.

   The
> second was escorted by threats of banishment from his site and e-list for
> not
> obeying.

       ***   Not exactly accurate. The controls cited followed incidents of
persons deliberately messing with the site and its thin-skinned (or even
"skinless") leader. The idea was to establish a productive opinion for the
Trail (ATC also does this), not an assortment of varying views offering no
defined purpose. I agreed with the concerted view promoted in those
campaigns.

 The third sent email to a cause that by law could not take public
   > comment into consideration, but nonetheless was followed up by a public
> relations ploy claiming success.

       ***  Again inaccurate. Examples of state officials commenting on how
effective the e-mails they received were in influencing their actions are on
record. This comment does not reflect the real facts or reality of those
e-mails' effectiveness. One Trail action organizer, Jay Leutze, asked those
doubting their effectiveness to contact him. I suggest TJ do that before
offering an opinion.

   Mix in suing the ATC, propagandizing against
   the ATC, AHS, ALDHA, AMC, the Companion, the Gatherings, Baxter State
Park,
> the IAT, the ECT, TrailJournals, the woman's e-list, the original AT web
> page, the at-l, Whiteblaze, and even Trail Days -- and it becomes more than
> obvious that Wingy opposes *anything* that doesn't feature Wingy.
> One of the last messages Wingy sent to the ATML before I unsubscribed was
> this: "You won't hike a mile of Trail that you can't thank me for in some
> way."
> You can hike the Wingfoot Trail if you want, Weary.
> I'll stick to the A.T.
> TJ

         ***  Those familiar with the situation don't need it explained. I
personally wish (    ) would be more tolerant for the sake of his own cause.
In the same light I wish the Trail Community would identify valid Trail ideas
wherever they appeared. The only thing missing here is how (   ) covers real
and needed Trail advocacy not covered anywhere else. It also doesn't explain
the absence of those ideas in other places separate from (   ) and his
controversial ways...