[at-l] Trip Report - Long

--
Dear Friends:

On last Monday (April 21st) I ran the Boston Marathon.  Not quite the same =
as a hike, but in many ways very similar.  If you're interested, read on ...

One of my running friends asked if I had a "fun race".  No, I did not have =
a fun race, but it was a satisfying race.

It was a tough day.  Bright sun, with temperatures starting in the 60 risin=
g to the 70s.  Many folks just lay in the sun in Hopkinton in the hours bef=
ore the start to suck in the warmth, but I thought that was a recipe for di=
saster.  We stayed in the cooler tent.

Since I had bib # 13730 (out of about 20,000 entrants) I was quite a ways b=
ack from the actual starting line.  After the gun went off we ambled slowly=
 for about a half mile and finally got to the starting line in about 9 minu=
tes.  Although in your "official" finishing time this delay counts as part =
of your time, they also record when you actually pass the starting line, an=
d so they publish your "net time" as well.  This is usually referred to as =
you "chip time" since all scoring is done by means of a small electronic tr=
ansponder that you wear on your shoe.  This is how they verify that you act=
ually ran the entire course and allows them to publish your progress along =
the course at 5 kilometer intervals.

When I finally got to the starting line, the amble had become a run, and I =
was on my target pace from the very start.  I started well, at about an 8:2=
0 per mile pace.  The beginning miles are steeply down hill and I could alr=
eady feel my quads taking a beating.

Suddenly I got a strong pain in my right lower calf around mile 4, and I th=
ought I was doomed to drop out - a muscle pull or something similar.  I slo=
wed and the pain became bearable,  but it stayed with me the whole race. Ev=
entually it became just another pain in the mixture of sensations late in t=
he race.

Just after mile 8 in Natick, my family was out there to cheer me on.  But d=
ue to the dense crowds, I couldn't spot them, although I saw a few of their=
 neighbors.  I waved (hoping this would get their attention and they would =
call out).  Later they told they saw me fine and assumed I was waving at th=
em.  So it goes.

The crowds were among the best I have seen in my four Boston Marathons.  Wh=
at was a burden for the runners (the warm sunny weather) was welcomed by th=
e spectators.  Lots of kids were out giving high fives to the runners.  The=
re were crowds even between some of the towns where spectators are usually =
sparse.

Through these middle miles I could feel the affect of the sun.  But I hydra=
ted pretty well and kept cool by dumping water over my head.  Meanwhile my =
calf pain faded into the background of my consciousness.

Just before mile 13 we pass Wellesley College and a wonderful thing happens=
.  In fact it has been happening at this spot for over 100 years.  The coll=
ege girls are all out, literally hanging over the barrier and screaming lik=
e banshees with arms extended to encourage the runners.  The sound can be h=
eard a half mile away.  This is the traditional "tunnel of screams" and pro=
vides a great lift to the runners at around the halfway point in the race. =
 Descriptions are inadequate - you have to be there to fully understand it.=
  Like coming off the Queensborough Bridge onto First Avenue in the New Yor=
k City Marathon, it is one of the 2 or 3 greatest experiences a marathoner =
can experience anywhere in the world.  At least for those of us who don't e=
xpect to win the Olympic Marathon!

At around mile 17 my running team had set up a cheering section.  Unfortuna=
tely they were on the other side of the road from what I was expecting so I=
 didn't see them.  But they saw me - in fact they were in contact with a fr=
iend in NY via cell phone and were tracking my progress and that of my team=
 mates from the Boston Marathon web site (everyone could be tracked using t=
hose chips).  So just as planned, my "running angel" Vicky jumped in and ra=
n with me from mile 17 on. Vicky helped enormously, especially to keep my m=
ind focused on the race and urging me to push on through these tough miles.

>From mile 18 to about mile 21 there are 3 or 4 hills, the last of which is =
"Heartbreak Hill".  These couldn't come at a worse point in the race, since=
 this is where you generally run out of energy (or "hit the wall", as we sa=
y).  I found these not too tough going except Heartbreak Hill.  At that poi=
nt my legs were really crying out "stop, stop, I can't go on", but with enc=
ouragement from Vicky I slogged on.

The last 5 miles are easy running, but it doesn't feel that way at this poi=
nt in the race.  We move through the city of Brookline along a relatively f=
lat route amid very dense and supportive crowds.  Finally you pass over a s=
light rise which is the overpass that crosses the Mass Pike.  This last "hi=
ll", hardly noticeable if you were to walk or drive over it, feels like a k=
iller, coming at the 25 mile point.

With the end in site (figuratively), I managed a reasonably strong pace for=
 the last mile.  Another friend, Bill, jumped in here, and both friends ran=
 with me across the finish line.  The last 5 blocks are along Boylston Stre=
et in Boston's Back Bay, and here you run down an avenue of cheers which is=
 literally deafening.  It is truly a very emotional experience.

I  finished strong and then immediately had no energy or mobility whatsoeve=
r=2E  It is amazing that you can go from full out running, to barely being =
able to walk in the space of a few yards.  My friends helped me along the a=
rea after the finish line where you get water, food, your finisher's medal =
and finally you baggage.

I did well, especially compared to most others.   I felt I got through it a=
s well as any marathon I have done, although my time was off of my target. =
I was shooting for 3:40, and I managed a 3:49.  Close.  I was 65th out of 5=
00 in my age group which surprised me, not bad!

My calf injury may have actually helped me, by forcing me to slow down in t=
he early miles.  If I had kept to my more aggressive pace, given the heat o=
f the day, I may very well have crashed completely in the later miles.  Som=
e of my friends did just that.  As it was, my pace gradually faded from abo=
ut 8:30 per mile to about 9:00 per mile at the end - no crashing, no wall.

I still feel stiff and sore now.  Like your s'posed to, I guess.

What's next.  Some hiking in about 3 weeks and some easy running.  Am I pla=
nning another marathon?  Please don't ask me that just now!

Pb