[at-l] Hiking for causes.

I guess I have to agree that what turns me off is those hikers who say they=
 are hiking for a cause, but

1=2E  the literature they hand out is all about how you can support their h=
ike--with a bottom of the brochure mention about the charity they are suppo=
sed to be hiking for
or
2=2E they have a web page that is similarly about what you can do to help t=
hem--with a way in the background pitch for their charity.

Sorry, but I think real charity begins when they are self-supporting.  If t=
hey're not asking the public for anything for themselves, but are quietly m=
entioning some worthy cause, it has a whole lot more credibility with me.

I'm sure they mean well in most instances, but it all appears to be pretty =
self serving, and has an air of a scam about it.  As in:  "I couldn't/didn'=
t save enough for a thru; how about if you support me under the pretext of =
supporting some worthy cause?"

YMMV,
Joan
bluetrail@aol.com