[at-l] Hiking for causes

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 04:28 PM, athummingbird wrote:

> , ..."sound like a scrooge,
>> but hikes for causes just irk me and I'm a liberal type of guy."
>>
>> Sly
>
> Sly, I totally agree.  The AT is one place I used to feel that no one
> was
> going to hit me up for money or anything else for donations.  This
> year I
> have had several folks ask me to pledge money for their cause.  Many of
> them
> are well meaning people who believe in what they are doing BUT...  I
> personally feel that hiking the AT is not the right place.  It also
> seems
> that hiking for a cause must put a tremendous pressure on the hiker to
> complete it.
>
> How do others here feel?
> Hummingbird

It bugs me.  I don't like to say no to people, so people asking for
donations
puts me on the spot.  And on the trail there's nowhere to escape to, in
some sense.  If you're walking in the same direction, you'll usually be
seeing each other again.  At least at home I can hang up, or get in my
car and leave, or shut my door.

-amy