From: <RoksnRoots@aol.com>
To: <AT-L@backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 4:27 PM
Subject: [at-l] Pinnacles Of Dan

--

     I looked at a Rand McNally road map to see where the AT used to go
during Shaffer's day. Turns out the Pinnacles are very far east from the
present Trail. The Pinnacles are along the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Galax
Virginia.

      I'd be curious about where exactly this old route went and where it
left the present AT route to the south? I noticed Grayson Highlands Park had
a panhandle in this direction. I wonder if it was built to accommodate the
old AT? I had read the old trail went up the Blue Ridge by Roanoke. The new
west route added much more distance after this area became too developed to
carry the path. This probably explains why the 2000 mile trail is now 2160.