[at-l] Connecticut

Ricky,

CT is a good choice in August.  Ten Mile River campsite has been rumored to
have deer ticks.  I have been there 5 times and have only  met one hiker who
found one tick.  The question is did he pick it up there or earlier?  Pine
Swamp  Shelter might have a mosquito problem.  Rattlesnakes will be out in
August.  (Common sightings are in the Rattlesnake Den Campsite area and from
Hang Glider View through Belter Campsite.)  They prefer to be left alone and
offer very little risk to the observant hiker.  40 degree bags might be a
little light.  Some variables here are your own metabolism.  Sages Ravine
Campsite (Just over the "line" in MA.) tends to be cooler than Laurel Ridge
campsite. (CT rules apply in MA through Laurel Ridge Campsite.)  Indeed
Sages Ravine might be the chilliest campsite in CT-MA.

A clever "pack" I read of once is to make a bundle of your gear that fits
part way into the trunk of your spare trousers.  The legs form the straps
and some cord attaches the ends of the legs to the bottom of the bundle.  I
suspect this works better with trousers that have belt loops.  The advantage
is, that it is cheap and you do need a pair of warm trousers in camp anyway.
(I will admit I have not actually tried this method myself.)

Several of us are quite familiar with this section.  Please do keep us
posted as to your plans and needs.  (Shuttle to and from the airport?)

Black Wolfe