[at-l] Harper's Ferry

Daniel wrote

>However, with the recent schedule change,
>Amtrak's Capitol Limited is the first train to Harpers Ferry, and that
would
>probably be the best alternative.  The layover in Washington can't be more
>than about an hour or two.

The Companion says the train leaves DC at 3:10 arriving 4:21 PM.  However
the current schedule shown on the Amtrak web site indicates the train in
fact leaves at 5:20 PM, arriving at 6:31 PM.  So the schedule has changed
for the worse.  6:30 PM is a little late in the day to start hiking, which
means staying over in HF at a hostel etc.  I am hoping to leave on a
Saturday, but if it were a week day the MARC trains are later still.  So
yes, Amtrak has the first train but it's too late for same day hiking.

I like trains, but this is hardly optimal for me.  I'm currently looking
into a shuttle from a place with frequent bus service and it looks like I
can get there before 1:00 PM.  Big difference.

Pb