[at-l] REALLY long distance hiking...

>It was doubly keed on my mind when I crossed that invisible line.  >There
>was no sign, no hostel, and nothing friendly about the place.  I >was
>strangely cold in my soul, and I felt no joy about being there.  I >wrote
>in my journal, "Great God! This is an awful place, and terrible >enough for
>me to have labored to it without the reward of joy."

You were wise to keep a journal, Shane.  I am glad you found yours.  Do you
have any other parts of it on the web?  I looked all over your internet
site, but did not find any mention of either your trans-continental trip, or
of your jaunts down the continental divide.  Nor even references to them in
you other writings.  I am guessing that is because those were dark days for
you.

I am glad you are feeling comfortable enough to share some of them with us
now.  How many days did you walk without seeing anyone on your way to
Barrow,AK?   Was the polar bear meat you ate from one that you shot?  How
old were you at the time?  What was your transition back to like when you
came back to New Orleans?

Rick B