[at-l] Re: Icons, the ATC & LD Hikiking

--
In a message dated 4/9/2003 11:55:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> My point in all this is that gratitude and wonder are worthless.  It is not
> enough to select an icon - any icon - and follow it, him, or her no matter
> how powerful the idea, or how inspired their vision.

         ***   With all this effort to shed a renewal of MacKaye's original
vision, I'd like to see someone try to explain exactly how his vision differs
from the one we need to move into the future with now? So far have haven't
seen anything except veiled attempts at pushing the conservation imperative
off the hiking screen. One of the ways this is done is by making accusations
of "icon" worship etc when it really isn't appropriate...