[at-l] Re: Alcohol stoves; light weight?

I agree with the observations about some of  the down sides of canister
stoves.  It is hard to see how much fuel is left and you might occasionally
need to carry a second canister.  In fact I'll add another downside: It's
hard to get it going when it's very cold.  I was OK down to about 20
degrees, but below that (= winter camping) I would go with white gas.

The main point I was trying to make was not that the Pocket Rocket is
BETTER, but that under conditions that apply to me and many others it's
LIGHTER than alcohol.  A lot of folks think the alcohol stove is the
ultimate lightweight solution: I'm just pointing out that they are not doing
the math.

There is a saying that thru-hikers end up loving their stoves and hating
heir water filters.  I found that for all the trru-hikers I met in Maine
that was true (and they used every kind of stove you might imagine).

Pb