[at-l] Stove and other stuff

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 05:31 PM, ken bennett wrote:

> I've been experimenting with an alcohol stove, too. I used denatured
> alcohol
> from the hardware store, and didn't have any soot or residue on my pots
> at
> all. (This was a nice change from my Esbit tabs, which leave a nasty
> residue
> all over everything.) I didn't get very good boil times, and used a lot
> of
> fuel as well -- a surprising amount, actually.
>
> For solo hiking, it's probably an okay choice. I like the Esbit tabs
> better
> for cooking (faster, hotter), but hate the cleanup. For multiple people,
> like on our long section this summer, I'm going to carry the
> Whisperlight.

I wonder what's with the different fuel usage?  I used surprisingly
little fuel, I thought, in the alcohol stove.  One one-ounce-ish
fillup was good to get me through most of my meals.  Do you
cook meals that require extended cooking?

Maybe your potstand/windscreen setup varied from mine, too.
I used a hardware cloth stand and an aluminum foil screen.

-amy