From: rick boudrie [mailto:rickboudrie@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 10:22 AM
To: shane@theplacewithnoname.com; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [at-l] Re: Icons, the ATC & LD Hikiking

>I'll talk about me. Sure, I hiked a long hike.  I didn't really plan >it
>that way, but I ended up doing it that way.  Sometimes it was >hard.
>Sometimes the sun shined, the breeze was cool, and the water >clear.
>Sometimes I was cold, hungry, thirsty, and beset by many >dangers.  In
>reality, though, it wasn't that hard, and I don't talk >about it much -
>mostly because of the reaction I get. Which is the >reaction that I did
>something marvelous or unique.

Shane, A continuous walk from the tip of Baja to Barrow, AK  is marvelous.
Not sure how far that is, but I now suspect that it might be close to 5,000
miles, much of which would not be on a marked footpath.  Since you
definitely took a path less followed, it also speaks to an adventerous
spirit that those of us who hike more formal trails may only dream about.

Your modesty is something I can appreciate.  Still, for my part, I'll
continue to try and get you to come out of your shell, from time to time.  I
know its not an achievement that you would rank up there with forming
friendships and taking care of your family, but we are on a hiking list :-),
and it would be really cool if you could share something about your route
and adventures.

If its part of your life you wish to keep private, I can respect that too.
We always have MacKaye to talk about ;-).

Rick B