[at-l] Trail Guides [was Databook changes]

--
Rick Boudrie wrote
>Would you recommend that all hikers buy state guides as well?  That would
>not only support the ATC, but other organizations like the MATC as well.
>They need our support too.

I'm not sure this is a serious question or perhaps a friendy troll, but I'l=
l bite: Here's my 2 c. on the Trail Guides.

I'm a section hiker and I think the Guidebooks are great.  However I would =
never carry them, I leave them home on my hiker book shelf.  They are a ref=
erence for history, geology, trivia and of course useful things like transp=
ortation and access to various points of access.  I read them before I go a=
nd after I return (which helps me relive my experience).  For me it greatly=
 enhances my hike, especially for off trail things (for example Gulf Hagas,=
 Antlers camp in Maine, etc. etc.). And I do bring copies of the trail desc=
ription pages from the Guidebooks (typically 1 page per section) on my hike=
s=2E I print them on the back of pages printed from the on-line companion. =
 That's my information load on the trail - just a few sheets of paper (and =
of course the maps).

Does a thru hiker need them?  No.  But then you don't need anything at all =
except a pair of eyes to spot the next white blaze.  But to be in greater c=
ontact with where you are, and perhaps why you are there I would say a thru=
 hiker "needs" (in order of priority): 1) the Maps, 2) a tie between the Da=
tabook and Companion - but only the pages for your current section and 3) T=
he Guidebooks - at home.  Read them before you go.

Now I know some thru-hikers feel they don't "need" to know anything except =
where the next white blaze is.  Fine, enjoy your hike.  For me I "need" to =
know as much as I possibly can.  I enjoy my hike - maybe even more - very m=
uch.

Pb