Re[4]: [at-l] Snow-Fitness

At 12:44 AM 4/10/2003 -0400, RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
>The reasons for these seemingly senseless climbs can involve the
>planning technicalities outlined by Chainsaw, but most likely they are merely
>the result of a local club planning the route in a wandering fashion. The
>route they marked was good enough and a second scouting trip wasn't in the
>cards.

One of the trail history accounts I read told of a group of trail blazers
who deliberately went over every obstacle they encountered, rather than
around, just to see what kind of reaction they would get from Myron Avery.
To their surprise he returned from checking their route saying they had
done a 'great job'. Among all other considerations is that some want the
trail to be a physical challenge. When they are doing the route choosing,
the route they select will reflect that.