Re[2]: [at-l] Re: Icons, the ATC & LD Hikiking

>"...MacKaye.  He had a really cool idea, some will power, and he was in the
>right place at the right time.  He also met the right people."

Just a brief addendum. MacKaye spent the next 10 years after the first account
of his idea in an obscure planning journal, finding, meeting, cultivating and
promoting his idea with the "right people." The trail is not the product of
happenstance.

 More importantly his original vision for more than a simple footpath at least
 partially is coming to fruition 80 years after he broached it.

 However, Shane is right. It is the future that is important. That's why I spend
 much of my time these days promoting a wide trail corridor and promoting and
 building local trails -- both things a prescient MacKaye promoted during his
 96-year life.

 I spent all day Tuesday with the agency charged with spending a $50 million
 land acquisition bond. The board approved several million dollars to help
 protect thousands of acres of Maine wildlands, most within the viewshed of the
 trail, and $26,000 to help our tiny town land trust preserve another 38 acres.

 Weary

 Weary