[at-l] pt 2: A question of money: estimation of throughhike costs

In a message dated 4/8/03 10:12:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

>       Stratton - $10 for Widow's Walk. Maybe $10 for buffet attended by
> northbounder "Dan Bruce".

RnR

Since Dan didn't thru in '86 I assume he was just around looking for support
for his 1987 50th anniversary hike.

My '86 (April 20 to Sep. 13) thru hike cost me considerably less than $1000.
But I had all my gear. My first town stop was Hot Springs with a mail pickup
at Fontana. I had 1 zero trail day and 4 zero days at home.

I think the biggest difference between and now is hiker attitude. In '86
towns were a "necessary evil" to get up the Trail. Today the Trail is a
"necessary evil" to get from one town party to the next.

The Old RidgeRunner
GA-ME 1986 & 1997 thru 2000