[at-l] Hiking in Scotland?

Christopher McNabb wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic, but I am starting to plan a backpacking trip
> to Scotland next summer (2004).  A search of the net reveals nothing but
> guided tours and overnights at hostels and inns.  I am more interested
> in going solo and sleeping out, as I do on the AT.  Does anyone on the
> list have any experience in Hiking in Scotland, or any knowledge of any
> back country trails like the AT?

	I researched hiking in Scotland for my honeymoon, until we determined
Peggy wouldn't be able to take enough time off work (so we're hitting
the Oregon coast instead). In any case, what I discovered is that The
Rules Are Different.

	Essentially, most all of Scotland is privately owned. Even the new
national parks are more special administrative districts than
government-owned preserves. But in contrast to the United States, hikers
have great freedom to wander where they will. It's not trespassing, as
it would be around here.

	But just because you can wander about does not mean you can also camp
anywhere. 'Wild camping' (camping outside designated sites, what is
often called stealth camping around here) isn't permitted in many areas,
including along the long-distance trails, such as the West Highland Way.
There are campgrounds, but they are privately owned, for the most part.

	If you are interested, I have guides and maps to the West Highland Way
and the Great Glen Way. E-mail me privately; we can likely come to an
agreement.

	Ron
--

must preside at our assemblies.