[at-l] Icons, the ATC & LD Hikiking

>"...From what I have seen, the majority of those who have shaped the ATC's
>vision, and those who are doing the bulk of the work out on the Trail, are not
>long distance hikers.  (I am not saying long-distance hikers aren't making
>worthy contributions every day, just that they are still in the minority and
>are not the core of the ATC)" observes Rick B.

Which is how it should be. Long distance hikers are but a tiny minority of
Appalachian Trail users. Thru hikers basic value to the ATC is that their
exploits attract press attention and thus general knowledge of the trail and
eventually  members and support from the general population for the trail.

Without the publicity generated by thru hikers, the trail might not exist. Yes,
Jim, the trail owes it's existence to scores of people, not just MacKaye.
MacKaye simply provided and promoted the seminal idea that directly or
indirectly recruited the other critical contributors.

It's my guess that probably less than one percent of ATC's total efforts are
aimed directly at serving the thru-hiker community.

Having said this, I sense that the percentage of thru hikers who remain active
in trail matters after returning home, probably exceeds that of the general
population of trail users. And I'm guessing that those who hike to experience
wildness are more likely to remain active in the trail community than thru
hikers, who see the trail as more a rite of passage, and a physical challenge,
than a life-broadening experience.

As for the usefulness of MacKaye today, who can really know? All we can do is
offer opinions. I'm a compulsive reader and a compulsive walker. I've read an
enormous number of outdoor books over the decades. I wasn't especially impressed
with his original essay, but awed by the forces it set in motion. I am greatly
impressed by the breadth of MacKaye's vision as detailed in Anderson's
biography. His message may come to people second or third hand, but I suspect
MacKaye continues to be an important influence on the trail, long distance
hikers, and the whole concept of wilderness in 21st Century America.

Weary