[at-l] shuttles and airports

On 4/7/03 3:38 PM, "William Neal" <nealb@midlandstech.com> wrote:

> Deep Gap is approximately 107 miles from Charlotte, NC. 2 hours plus.
> -- Atlanta, GA is about 5 hours plus and 310 miles
> -- Asheville, NC is 112 miles and about 2 hours plus
> -- Winston-Salem is about 75 miles from Deep Gap and about 1 hour
> plus.

Different Deep Gap, I think. I was assuming that Ken Knight wanted to start
at the Deep Gap near Standing Indian Campground, in SW North Carolina, about
15 miles southwest of Franklin.

The Deep Gap which is 75 miles from Winston-Salem is near Boone, and is the
main gap over the Blue Ridge for US 421, where it crosses the BR Parkway.
That particular Deep Gap is nowhere near the AT.

Of course, there are many, many Deep Gaps out there. I'm not sure that the
Deep Gap on the AT near Franklin will show up on map software, since there's
not really a road crossing there, just a Forest Service gravel road and
small parking area.

Ken