[at-l] So here is the deal

Good Morning,

I've sectioned sequentially from south to north since 1989, now up to
Gorham, NH.  Logistically, it worked well for me since I'm down South
(except a short stretch living up north in Knoxville, TN).  We agreed
initially that we'd do it sequentially so as not to cherry pick the "best"
sections.  Of course, I've now found out that every section is beautiful and
merits hiking.  A patchwork approach requires more planning to make sure you
leave reasonable trip lengths in between.  If I were going to hop around a
bit, I'd mix in some south and north.

Regarding road walks, I wouldn't consider them in my trip planning.  There
aren't enough of them on any stretch to really matter.  In many spots,
commuter patterns are more important than time of year.  We've hiked most of
the trail in Feb/Mar and Sep/Oct/Nov, with the most notable exception being
last year's July Whites hike and a short stretch from Dalton, MA to
Manchester Center, VT in May.  Views are great pre/post leaf season.  We
hiked CT in the peak leaf time and it was fabulous - I don't remember
traffic being a problem.

Trip planning for sections is fun.  I enjoy reading journals of hikers as
they hiked through my upcoming section.  Sometimes they will mention
something not in a written source that's really neat, such as a special
place to stay or eat.  The anticipation of the hike and the reminiscing
afterward is what keeps this sectioneer going.

Take Care,

Tim