Re[2]: [at-l] Icons

> >"... Preaching that MacKaye is the be-all end-all of the
> > Appalachian Trail is just plain silly."
>
> Of course, though no one to date has taken that position,
> despite trolls to the contrary.

Actually, Weary, RNR took exactly that position when he posted, "That is the
Trail as a wilderness mechanism designed to
be a sanctuary from civilization and a place maintained that way by theme.
It is never supposed to get to the point where individuals are left to
choose what level of remoteness they choose. ... This is exactly what
MacKaye planned."

There are quite a few more places where that position is taken.

> Nor does any of this mean that history and MacKaye's
> role in that history is no longer important.

I, for one, never said it wasn't important.  I said it wasn't relevant.

>  Wise folks study history for insights into planning for the
> future.

They also know when to let the history go.

Shane