[at-l] More Thoughts On Benton (@nd try)

--
In a message dated 4/7/2003 8:58:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bullard@northnet.org writes:

> I'm sure that everyone on the
> list is grateful that MacKaye proposed the AT but the truth is that the
> purist version of his vision that some here would like to promote is not
> the version that got the trail built.

          ***   I'm not sure that is exactly true.  Anderson pointed out that
MacKaye was wrongfully accused of failing to adequately promote his project
when the reality was that his hard efforts during the Trail's early formation
is what actually inspired the groups who ended up building the path to
organize and carry through.

    The reason it didn't happen precisely
> as he he envisioned it was that the details of his vision didn't resonate
> then either.

          ***   Either that or they were deferred by the lack of proper
recognition represented in this post.

> The problem that some of us have with phrases like 'MacKaye's vision
> informs our thinking' is that it is a code phrase for 'this is how it
> should be *because MacKaye wanted it that way*'.

         ***   Well, geesh Saunterer, Benton MacKaye designed the danged
thing. You might think he would be worth considering?

   Unless you are making a
> religion of MacKayeism and treating his vision, or rather your
> understanding of his vision which may or may not be accurate (just look to
> Christians and Muslims for examples of how followers can't agree on what
> the founder really meant), is not the final word on how the trail should be
> maintained and protected today. If we are to see the future of the AT (to
> paraphrase Issac Newton) we must stand on the shoulders of giants, not
> grovel at their feet. MacKaye deserves our gratitude but not our worship.
> We should say "thank you" to MacKaye then pick up our packs and move on.

           ***   You can't stand on the shoulders of giants, if those giants
are being pulled out from underneath you. You can never really leave MacKaye,
because MacKaye IS the AT -whether you accept it or not. If you made the
effort to look at what ATC does, you'll find much of it is directly derived
from MacKaye. This isn't 'worship', 'AT religion', or 'extremism', it's
respectful application of AT ideals. Because christians and muslims can't
agree on what exactly is correct religion does not mean religion is to be
discarded. Schism by indifference, unawareness and neglect.

         Why does this sound like the quickest route to making the least
effort comfortable? Much can be shown to connect real existing codified Trail
values to MacKaye and his intentions. It puts real examination and action to
the test proving his worth to the AT. Somehow, in these quick dismissals of
MacKaye, these things never really receive adequate exposure. I don't think
those so quick to cut MacKaye from the current Trail realize they are calling
for the severing of the cables holding up the big top...