[at-l] Icons

No I am not alking about those little thingy's on your computer
screen.  The hiking community has a number of icon such as Earl,
and Benton, and Warren, and poosibly a few muore that they
haven't really thought about, like John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt.
They all have a cou[ple of things in common, the first being that
they are dead and gone.  The second is that they have left behind
extensive writtings that a number of people try to interpret to make
their belief the "One and True Belief".  Personally I don't care what
Benton said abouth thru hikers.  So these are the cions, they may
be religious isons such as Jesus or Buddah, they may be solcial
such as MartinLuther King or Gandhi or yes even Desmond Tutu
(Though he is alive.  At I talk of his (I was in attendecnce) he said
he was amazed at the number of things he is creditted with saying.
 H e either growing old and senile or he had misheard because he
doesn't remember saying most of the things creditted to him).

In the end I just hit the delete key when people
try to interpret someones writting to prove
their case.  Maybe it is the long winter, maybe
it is the war, maybe it is the stockmarket, who
knows, but we all need to go on a hike.  Just
HYOH when you do and send back trip reports.
THanks to those who have posted them.

Peace
Grey Owl