[at-l] Thanks

--
In a message dated 4/5/2003 1:46:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bullard@northnet.org writes:

> I know what you mean. One of the first AT books I read was Jean Deeds
> "There are Mountains to Climb". When I got to the part where she broke her
> ankle just after crossing into Maine I cried. She finished the next year
> but I'm sure it wasn't the same.

The same?  Probably not, but actually it could have been better.

Even a broken ankle didn't stop her from finishing.  In my opinion, and I've
been there before on either side, too much emphasis is given to finishing the
trail in a single year.  A two year "thru-hike" can be just as rewarding as
doing it in a single year, perhaps more so.

Jean started out with the intentions of hiking the entire trail and she did,
'nuff said.

Sly