From: "Jim Bullard" <bullard@northnet.org>
To: <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: Determination vs. Brawn (was) RE: [at-l] Just Hike Theory

At 09:46 AM 4/4/2003 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
> >"...Brawny ... grew disgusted and tired.  Quit the trail.  She  took on
his
> >share and her share and her personal items and kept on hiking."
>
>I once hiked with a 17-year-old who was into weight lifting. He announced
he
>could "easily carry 100 pounds." At his insistence we loaded him up with
about
>60 pounds. He didn't make it three level miles to the first shelter.
>
>  Weary

When I was running (before my knees told me to stop) my nephew was visiting
and said he wanted to run with me. He was about 17 at the time and was on
his school track team as a miler. We set out on my usual daily run (a 4=BC
mile loop) and he immediately pulled ahead. He stayed there until we came
to a narrow bridge where I caught up to him and said "there's a car coming.
I'm going to pull ahead so we aren't abreast when on the bridge at the same
time he's there". I put on a little more speed and that was the last I saw
of my nephew until 20 minutes after I got home. He was so demoralized when
I passed him that he stopped running and walked the last two miles. Moral?
Over the long haul endurance is far more important than speed.

Saunterer