From: Datto [mailto:datto_atl2@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 1:32 PM
To: AT-L@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] cheap Thrus

My personal observations indicate, to me, that running out
of money was the third biggest reason people left the Trail
when doing a thru-hike during Year 2000.

A thru-hike has such considerable challange and required
adjustment that I wouldn't want to encourage prospective
thru-hikers to think it likely they'd complete a thru-hike
at a cost of $1500 for on-Trail costs. To me, that sum puts
completing an AT thru-hike into the realm of "unlikely".

A better approach might be to guide prospective thru-hikers
with a realistic sum of money needed to complete a
thru-hike -- for those intending to complete a thru-hike
that is, rather than those who intend to hike until the
money runs out. Those are two different animals and both
are found on the AT heading north during the Spring.

Datto