[at-l] cheap Thrus

--
In a message dated 4/2/2003 2:59:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> It's not a matter of discipline, but rather motivation.  Most of us don't
> give a rats patootie.

        ***   Those asking do. The second part, ya, we're aware of that...

> >Even better would be a thrift-hike documenter conscientious of what his
> >fellow hikers were spending and comparing the two.
>
> LOL!!!  That could get you a fast punch in the mouth for not minding your
> own business.  And rightfully so.

         ***   You might get a split list (oh I meant 'lip') from that Jim...

>  I figure more like $1.50 per mile (about $3300?) - or more.

        *** There's several ways to measure. One would be on-trail costs
exclusive of all other preparations and costs. Next would be on-trail
including mail drop costs. Another would be all inclusive including
transportation to the Trail etc.. Last would be total including everything
and gear. Believe it or not, I did my '86 hike for around $2000 including all
gear and transportation.

> Be happy - if most people didn't make those excuses there'd be HORDES of
> hikers out there.

        ***   On the other hand, if everyone who ever did a through-hike
along with anyone who ever took an interest in the AT focused their attention
on the Trail's conservation goal and added a $10 dollar contribution to land
acquisition funding, we would have a huge pot for threatened areas. Add crew
work to that too.