[at-l] cheap Thrus

--
In a message dated 4/2/2003 3:12:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> >Over all, Sly's $2000 estimate is probably about right.
>
> Maybe for Sly - but not for the average thruhiker.  The estimate used to be
> $1 per mile.  But I'll bet you'd have a hard time finding a lot of people
> who've made it on that lately.  That $1 per mile is at least 15 or more
> years old.  I figure more like $1.50 per mile (about $3300?) - or more.
> Remind me to ask Jack when he gets back.

Hold on now folks!

My estimate is based on time out there, not per mile.  Anyone hiking will
have to do their own estimates.  Again, $500-600 per month should service,
but many can do it in less, but not that much less.  Others tend to spend
more.

So let's say for example, I hike to Damacus in a month and another takes two,
obviously I'm going to get there for half the money.  Whereas, I spent $500,
the other will spend $1000.

Roks' phantom hiker would have to hike the trail in four months or less,
which is doable, but not normally my type of hike.

YMMV,

Sly