[at-l] RE: GVP G4 Fans

I've put around 700 miles on my G4 and am generally happy.  It is not a pack
for carrying weight (+25lbs or so. However, once you get into carring a pack
that weights ounces, it is very hard to go back to the big 5 lb+ pound packs
we all had before the light weight craze.

I'm not a very stout person and have had trouble with the waist belt being
small enough for me.  If you have less than a 32" waist, beware. Also, the
pack closes funny and you need to use some sort of inside bag to protect
from sweat and rain.  I use a trash compactor bag.

The only serious downside can be seen on Glenn's site.  There's a picture of
a young guy standing in what looks to be a NYC subway stop.  The G4 he is
wearing is riding really low off his shoulders and rear end. That's
exaggerated but what you get from a rucksack with a waist belt.  Framed
packs don't do this.

So, in general, you need to be accomdating to the G4.  It is part of a
thoughtout light weight approach.  It is a good tool but not the only tool
and the price is right for trying out something new.

Hike on
Tim