[at-l] cheap Thrus

Roks wrote:

>***   Agreed. BUT, that only makes its availability more useful since
>nobody has the discipline to do so.

It's not a matter of discipline, but rather motivation.  Most of us don't
give a rats patootie.

>Even better would be a thrift-hike documenter conscientious of what his
>fellow hikers were spending and comparing the two.

LOL!!!  That could get you a fast punch in the mouth for not minding your
own business.  And rightfully so.

>Over all, Sly's $2000 estimate is probably about right.

Maybe for Sly - but not for the average thruhiker.  The estimate used to be
$1 per mile.  But I'll bet you'd have a hard time finding a lot of people
who've made it on that lately.  That $1 per mile is at least 15 or more
years old.  I figure more like $1.50 per mile (about $3300?) - or more.
Remind me to ask Jack when he gets back.

>I'm sure a
>person determined to achieve an AT through-hike can go out and bust butt
>working to stash the 2 grand needed to complete the task. The real cost is
>lost income during the hike.

Not really - if you run a balance sheet on your income and expenses
(including taxes) for "doing the hike" vs "not doing the hike", most peoples
"lost income" would be minimal.  The "lost income" line is an excuse that
some people use to justify their "non-thruhike".  The only time it's valid
is if you're making big bucks and stashing lots of money in savings or
investments. The place you lose in that regard is in the retirement fund.

If you want a rough idea how much it would cost - add up how much you saved
last year (including your 401k).  The rest of your "income" is what it cost
you to "live" last year.  Now take your "gross income" minus your savings,
divide by two and stack that against the cost of a thruhike (assuming a
6-month thruhike).  What you're doing is trading a 6-month
$(whatever-thousand dollar) lifestyle for a 6-month, $2000-4000(?)
lifestyle.

Some people can't stand the change in lifestyle - so they either quit the
Trail and go home or they make excuses (like "lost income") and never start.
  Motivation.  Desire. Attitude.

Be happy - if most people didn't make those excuses there'd be HORDES of
hikers out there.

>      LNT and wilderness experience added to the documentation would also
>be useful (and maybe some crew work for good measure)...

So go do it <G>

Walk softly,
Jim