[at-l] cheap Thrus

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim and/or Ginny Owen
[snippage]
>Staying out of towns may reduce your cost, but it won't "minimize" it.  It
may not give you the hike you're looking for either.
The real question is - what kind of hike do you want?.........

Jim's answer was a good one, but I think it is possible for some people to
do low-cost thru-hikes. I hiked some of the southern states with Spot in
1997. He was a nice man and a good hiker. He did spend some money on
lightweight gear before he hit the trail, but, in general, he had no
interest in a plush lifestyle. On the other hand, he was not a bum. He
bought his food locally and paid for a shower when necessary. But, up
through Hot Springs, he spent no nights in town and had no entertainment
expenses. (He did succumb to the lure of the Inn at Long Trail, but that was
many, many miles later.)

So, I would add to Jim's question, "What kind of person are you?" Knowing
yourself is of critical importance as you decide if/how/why/when you want to
do this.

Give Me Chocolate