[at-l] Snow in the Smokies

>> They got a foot of snow in the Smokies last night.  That should make for
> an
>> interesting hike with such a large group passing through right about now.
>>
>> We got about an inch here in Black Mountain, but it's all gone.

I was out this weekend with a student group in the Mt Rogers area. We woke
up Sunday morning to a raging blizzard. Six inches on the ground (and all
over me and my gear inside my tarp), 25mph winds gusting to 40, and driving
snow. I think we set the world record for Student Group Gets On The Trail
with a time of 55 minutes, including the dreaded Fold the Giant Frozen Tarp
event.

The only thing better than waking up to a raging blizzard is getting out of
your sleeping bag (your nice, warm, cozy sleeping bag, even when it's
covered with snow) mostly naked, digging through the snow for your solidly
frozen rain pants and shell, and putting them on, along with your frozen and
ice-filled shoes. It sure wakes you up in the morning.

When they tell you to keep your cold weather gear until you get past Mt
Rogers, they are not kidding around.

Ken
Big Cranky