From: ken bennett [mailto:bennettk@wfu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 2:08 PM
To: William Neal
Subject: Re: [at-l] trail related computer question

On 3/26/03 1:47 PM, "William Neal" <nealb@midlandstech.com> wrote:

> I have a friend who is thinking about long section hiking the AT during
> their summers off.  But they would like to carry a computer.

What is the computer to be used for? Photo editing and storage is different
from writing a journal, for example. This is going to be difficult, but
maybe not impossible. After all, scientists use computers in some very
remote places (but they probably have a generator to charge batteries.)

There are some very small sub-notebooks in the under-3-pound range, mostly
from Sony. The problem is going to be battery life -- you're looking at 3-4
hours between charges. Carrying a spare battery is fine, but they are the
heaviest part of the computer. The best bet may be to rig up a solar
charger, and charge the battery while hiking during the day.

http://www.global-merchants.com/home/computer.htm

I know NOTHING about this company or product -- it was the first thing that
came up on a Google search.

The other option is a palm-top computer running Windows CE. These are much
more powerful than the Palm OS handhelds, and can run most Windoze software.
I don't know about battery life, though. The Compaq model is heavily used
around campus.

Other things to think about are protection from rain/humidity, impact
protection, using it (or not) when other hikers are present, etc.

With more info on the end use, I might be able to give you some more info.

Ken