[at-l] Music to my ears..

I know I've told ya all this stuff before, prolly...but, I'm not averse
to repeatin' myself. I am reminded of this because I heard a song way on
to work my today.

When I hear "One Week" by Bare Naked Ladies I picture a room full of
hikers at Hiker's Paradise in Gorham. There was a TV in the room tuned
to MTV...about every 8 minutes they'd play that video. Fortunately, I
liked the song.

When I hear "3 a.m." by Matchbox 20, I'm laying on my couch, staring at
my deer-headed wall. (That's a divorce thing.) OR, I'm hiking in
southern Virginia. I listened to "Yourself or Someone Like You" by
Matchbox 20 and Third Eye Blind's CD (can't think of the name of it)
most of the way from Front Royal to Springer. Any song from those discs
bring back fond memories.

"Your Life is Now", by John Mellencamp puts me in a stiff wind on
Clingman's Dome...clear and beautifully cold. My life truly was then.

"Sweetest Thing" by U2 puts me on a slush-filled farm road in Tennessee.
Snowy drizzle falling on my face. President Clinton getting ready to be
impeached. Pokey in my mind. Tears in my eyes.

"Fashion Nugget" by Cake (no, not Kay K. Harvey....though, he gave me
the tape) puts me and Sundown on the banks around that reservoir just
north of Punchbowl Shelter. Deer hunters all around.

"Every Mornin'" by Sugar Ray was in my earfones as I walked the
snow-covered trail into the frigid parking lot at Big Stamp
Gap...Pittsburgh's van sitting, engine idling to warm the inside. 1.8
miles to go my friend.

Offspring had a CD out at that time. I remember hearing it in it's
entirety on New Year's Eve as the radio station played the top discs of
the year. I was looking over some viewpoint near Muskrat S. as it played
and I thought..."I hate these guys."

Metallica's version of 'Turn the Page' puts me on a hilltop just north
of highway 60 in VA. Sundown walking up to me saying something like
"Dude, Skynard's on (some station)" and me sayin' "Skynard sux." and
Sundown sayin' "Harsh, man. You ain't serious."  That was our second day
together.

U2's "Still Haven't Found..." puts my on those rocks that look out to
the southeast over the James River. the rocks just north of John's
Hollow S. John's Hollow is where Sundown picked up a package of smoky
links from the fire pit and sniffed them. I wouldn't let him eat them.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I might remember some more
later...and, I might remember where I go when I hear that music to my
ears...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98