[at-l] cd read failures --- was AntiVirus software

### Not to contradict Saunterer, but in stereogeekdom, head
cleaning disks get a polite chuckle, and nothing more. If you
really want to know, get in there. (Saves busting your drive,
too.)

--- Jim Bullard <bullard@northnet.org> wrote:
> Don't be sticking cotton swabs inside your CD ROM drive. If it
> does need cleaning they make head cleaning disks. Use one of
them. If you leave strands of cotton in the CD ROM you will have
problems even if that wasn't the problem before.

> At 10:53 AM 3/26/2003 -0800, Sloetoe wrote:
> >### Sly and all:
> >I'm no computer expert re anything less than a decade old,
> but I can tell you that all of what I just read in the at-l
digest could come from a cd read failure. These may be caused by
> >*anything* that interrupts the reception of data impulses
> from the cd, including:
> >1) temporary dust/hair/fingerprints on the cd (especially
> when the failure hops around the cd)
> >2) permanent scratches on the cd (especially visible on the
> cd as concentric defects)
> >3) dust/hair/fingerprints on the laser or reception head
> within the drive (especially with intermittant failures that
occur on a raft of different cds).

> >Before you go too much further, turn a good cotton sock
> inside out and inspect your cds, and/or get a set of cotton
swabs ready to fiddle about inside your cd drive.