[at-l] (Guest Post) staying warm in hammocks

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Robert 'man in the moon' <dachonkin@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:dachonkin@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

you can stay warm in a hammock, loose the cumbersome sleep pad, check out t=
hese links:

http://home.attbi.com/~egowtkimoto/
http://iemedia.ca/dk/home.htm

As you can see an 'underquilt' is one way to go.
The advantages of the underquilt are:
no closed cell pad strapped to your pack hitting limbs, adaptability to sui=
t the anticipated temp (by determining how thick/what material your quilt w=
ill be), easy compression/packability, no thermarest popping out from under=
 you while you sleep. The closed cell pads work no doubt but the min. width=
 is 24-25 inches or you will get cold shoulders unless you are really thin,=
 plus in the Hammock of choice-the Ultralight A-sym, the entry slit present=
s a small problem that the underquilt easily overcomes.

Being toasty in temps down to 0F are possible with the underquilt. My setup=
 is:

Hennessy Ultralight A-sym 31oz.
NanatakGear Arc Alpinist  22oz.
Underquilt (under construction) 16-18oz.
For a total sleep system of 4.3 pounds.
I chose Primaloft for my underquilt insulation and that is a discussion in =
itself but you can see at the above link an underquilt in down at 11oz.
When you look a total sleep system for 4 pounds that is as comfortable as a=
 hammock it is something to think about.
When I say total sleep system I am not being totally honest because there i=
s also the
balaclava and whatever clothes you choose to sleep in.
Also, and in regard to the HH, at these temps the bug netting is worthless.=
 I am currently experimenting with Pertex panels that velcro onto the bug n=
etting panels to capture that heat which is lost.
Also to consider when it gets below 10 degrees is a VBL, I carry one anyway=
 in the form of my pack liner, it just doubles a a VBL for my sleeping bag =
(Wanderlust gear 25$)....
If you have never been in a hammock, like me-got if for Christmas, you will=
 agree that it is the most comfortable sleeping platform available, and I s=
ay this after 30 years of section hiking the AT, you will frown on the grou=
nd and skelter the shelter for sleep that is better than your bed at home.
In fact, afterwards you will probably do as I and seek a way to suspend you=
 hammock backhome in your bedroom!
Simva2020-the man in the moon