[at-l] Winter Reports

The last day of winter went out with a bang in
Boulder.  Lots of "concrete snow", slush, shoveling,
cars stuck in the road, everything being closed down
and black ice coating the roads. All ingredients to
give a transplant from the northeast a case of
nostalgia (?!) and a chance to have some fun in the
snow right here in Boulder.

As mentioned, I felt nostalgic yesterday. The snow was
the type I grew up with back in Rhody.  I also felt
nostalgic because everything was closed down,
including where I worked! Felt like a no-school day.
The same sense of freedom, the same sense of having a
gift handed to me. So how I did I spent my day off?
Why going to a park and playing some snow football
with some friends... We even made some snowmen. Alas,
I did not get to build a snowfort. After playing in
the snow, went back to my friend's house and a few of
us had some coffee with Irish cream. Mmmmm
(That is one thing I did not do when growing up, I can
tell you!!!). To make this day truly nostalgic, I
wanted to call my Dad up at 4:30 and have him yell at
me because the driveway was not shovled yet. :-)

Also, being in the last day of winter, and a full
moon, had to do something. That something was a
snowshoe up Mt. Sanitas a favorite night time
destination.

The night was clear with a moon that was best
described as spooky looking. The trail was nicely
packed down. The night was also a first for us: Who
ever thought we would need snowshoes in Boulder?

After snowshoeing to the top, we looked over the
snow-coated slopes of Sanitas and our town below.
Celebrated the summiting by having chocolate chip
cookies, hot apple spice tea and some amerretto for a
bit more liquid warmth.

Made it back to trailhead and we all had much fun
walking down the ice coated streets!

A fun last winters night in Boulder.

=====