[at-l] Homesick for the trail because of rain

It is pouring wolves and tigers today.  And yet, it is making me homesick
for the trail.  I remember one day on the AT where it rained liked this.
The trail was so rutted that it was like walking down a stream bed.  I
probably would have been better off walking barefooted.  When I got to the
shelter, it was full.  Luckily the Boy Scouts was composed of some good
mannered scouts and some knowledgeable scoutmasters.  So they gave me a
shelter spot and tented outside.  Which was fortunate since everything was
soaked and I came down with a cold.  Strange, but I miss that.

Does anybody else have any other "unusual" things that makes them homesick
for the trail?  And anybody want to hazard a guess as to why?

William, The Turtle