[at-l] Plumorchard Gap Shelter last Saturday

--
Gutsy and I made a quick visit to the trail last Saturday, and saw what
others have mentioned--hordes of hikers, many inexperienced.  I expect the

We reached Dick's Creek Gap at 3 p.m. and Gutsy started the 4.5 miles hike to
Plumorchard while I took a hiker to the Blueberry Patch and two others to
Hiawasee.  Drying soaked gear was their priority.  Rain was expected, so
garbage bags were much in demand.  We had just bought a box of garbage bags
for our own use on the trail and at home.  I gave away six bags at Dick's
Creek Gap.

At least fifteen hikers were at Plumorchard Gap Shelter.  We laid out our
pads in the upper loft, then moved out when more hikers kept arriving.  We
ended up tenting just below the gap in our new Black Diamond tent.

Half a mile before I reached the shelter I had piled a load of firewood on
top of my pack and picked up two wide pieces of bark to shelter the fire from
the rain.  Many thanked me for the camp fire, and the rain held off until
around 8 p.m., a sensible bedtime.

Most of the hikers were young, and some were on spring break.  Only one was
more than 40 years old, and he fought off tears as he shared with Gutsy and
me how much he missed his wife.  He was concerned with the drug use he has
seen, including right there at Plumorchard Gap Shelter where we were that
night.

There was heavy rain in the night, but it let up before we headed back to
Dick's Creek Gap in the morning.  I found out later that Jan Liteshoe passed
by there two days before.  I did not have a chance to look for her entry in
the shelter register.

Dan and Gutsy