[at-l] Black Flies

--
In a message dated 3/17/03 12:02:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
richehli@optonline.net writes:

> I have plans to hike the section of the AT between North Adams and Sherburne
> Pass the last week of May. Based on my experience with the Adirondacks High
> Peaks region, most years the black fly doesn't usually become really
> intolerable until the beginning of June. Since this section is a bit south
> of there, I am wondering if perhaps I am asking for trouble and should move
> the hike up a week. Any advice? Also, does anyone know of any local sources
> that provide updates on the intensity of the black fly hatch?

Having hiked both areas, I would guess the Vermont section would get black
flies a little earlier. Of course, as you know, BLACK FLY SEASON is weather
controlled and can vary by more than two weeks. I suggest, that unless you
are allergic to their bite that you do the hike.

The Old RidgeRunner