[at-l] Fresh eggs on the trail?

If he don't carry a roster, he ain't goin' to git many eggs after awhile. --
Uncle Smiley's Words of Wisdom.

I do not know why but that is true.  It's also why chicken breeders hire
people to sex biddies.  That is, the biddies are quickly looked at and
divided into "hens" and "roosters".*  Most of the roosters are disposed of.
:-0  The hens, which are the layers, are saved.  Because most chicken farms
don't want roosters.

Dad use to buy a bunch of biddies for our family to raise (not as pets).
Once he got a batch that had too many roosters in it.  The Purina store took
them back and gave Dad some new biddies.

I remember Mama and Grandma raised chickens from the fertilized eggs our
chickens lay.  And they usually cooked the roosters as they got bigger.  But
they always kept one or two.  Apparently the hens won't lay properly unless
there is a rooster around.  The rooster is a pretty useless bird.  Good in
stews, with dumplings, and fried up, but pretty much useless otherwise.

William, The Green Turtle

*	I forget which oriental group it is (Korean, Chinese, or Japanese),
but apparently one of them can flip a biddy over and tell if its a boy or
girl.  Most people are not that good, but it is almost impossible to look at
a biddy and tell if it is male or female.