Re[2]: [at-l] RE: NFP CEO pay

>For all these reasons, I think he probably earns his pay.

Me too-- just so long as you define success at the AMC as being able to give
its 90,000 members what they seem to want.  I am not so sure I do, but I'll
leave that for a while.

I got to think that one's pay does impact on his vision, though.

If the ATC's leadership were paid many multiples of the pittance they now
earn, I wonder if they would feel more presure to maximize profits at thier
hostel, or to find other places to leverage the assets of the Trail into an
improved cash flow.  I wonder if they would feel more pressure to raise
funds for stuffing operating endowments, rather than for land aquisition.  I
wonder if they would measure the success of thier educational efforts ever
more by revenues generated, than by hearts and minds impacted.  I wonder if
the would see thier mission become more defined by those who vote with
dollars, than by a deeper understanding of what the Trail is all about.

I don't know.  But I think they might.  I hope the ATC doesn't make the same
mistakes as the AMC. They are doing a great job so far.  Having leaders that
"earn" a big-city pay isn't always a great thing.

RIck B