[at-l] RE: [at-l]more re payphones

Probably because most pay phones are not owned by public utilities (Bell
South, etc.), but because they are run and/or owned by private companies who
are as regulated as the utilities.  I doubt most public utilities are that
piratical.  Not that I have anything against pirates.  Sometimes I like
flying the black flag.  But generally utilities that operate as public
utilities are more cautious about what they do.

For example, the pay phone out in front of my apartment building is owned by
Bell South -- probably one of the last in the great outdoors.  It charges 50
cent for a call.  And the times I used a phone card, I have not seen any
extra time taken off of it.  But some nearby phones charge a $1 for a
minimum for any usage.  Plus they rack up extras for almost most anything.
Someday I expect to be charge for speaking into the phone.

To get back to trail related issues:  I HATE CELLPHONES!  But I am about to
break down and get one.  Someday.  Because good pay phones are getting hard
to find.  And there are certain advantages to owning one.  So on my dream AT
trip, I may well carry one for emergencies.  But I will carry it turned off.
I will not leave it on for every Dick and Jane to call me whenever they
want.  If necessary I will arrange to call them at certain times.  I most
certainly will not use it when others around -- except for emergencies.
Depending on pay phones will become harder as time goes along.  So hikers --
especially hikers who hate cellphones -- will have to get use to seeing
cellphone users on the trail.  And users will have to be respectful of
others sensibilities.

William, The Turtle