[at-l] Henessy Hammock advice

> For the most part, on the AT, they'll probably work well
> enough cause there are enough trees.  But I'm curious -
> how would one use a hammock in the Wyoming desert where
> you can walk 100 miles without seing a single tree, let
> alone two - or the southern Colorado far above treeline
> where the "trees" are 2 feet tall - or in southern
> California where the Joshua trees won't support the weight
> - or .... well, you get the idea.

Throughout those areas, I carried, and used, a hammock of
my own design.  The tarp was rather special, being over-
large at 10x12 and constructed to be set very many ways -
including on bare rock when trees were unavailable.

Now I'd probably carry a Hennessy Explorer and use it as a bivy with two
hiking poles.  It works really well FOR ME.

> Hang onto those tents ---- you might need them someday.
> <VBG>

Agreed - although to be honest, the only one I have anymore is the HUGE
Coleman tent that I use with the family...

Shane